Ever feel like kitchen klutz? Wish you could take that odd assortment of stuff in the pantry and freezer, mix it with leftovers in the fridge to make something delicious without a specific recipe and without having to run to the market? That’s called cooking with a formula not a recipe.
Well, grab your whisk and shout for joy! Thanks to this Fool-Proof 5-Step Formula you can create fabulous, original, homemade, delicious, and nutritious casseroles designed by You, using the items you have on hand.
Combine an 8-oz container of sour cream, 1 cup milk, 1 cup water, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper with one item from Group A, which is coming up below (omit sour cream and milk when using tomatoes).
Did you know?
Sour cream is sold by weight, not by volume. An 8 oz. container of sour cream is equal to 3/4 cup by volume. A 16 oz. container of sour cream is equal to 1 1/2 cup by volume. Do not be confused with liquid measure and weight measure. Very rarely will they be the same.
Stir in one item from each of Groups B, C, D, and E (again, no sour cream and milk when using tomatoes)
Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking dish.
Sprinkle with one or two choices from Group F.
Cover and bake the casserole at 350 F, for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 additional minutes. Servings: About 6.
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 can Cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 2 cans Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
Don’t care for canned soups? Make it yourself! How to Make Homemade Cream of Anything Soup
- 2 cans solid white tuna, drained and flaked
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2 cups chopped cooked ham
- 2 cups chopped cooked turkey
- 1 pound ground beef, browned and drained
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 4 cups uncooked wide egg noodles
- 3 cups uncooked medium pasta shells
- 1 package* chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 package frozen cut broccoli
- 1 package frozen Italian green beans
- 1 package frozen peas
- 1 package frozen sliced yellow squash
- 1 package frozen whole kernel corn
*packages should be about 10-ounces
- 1 small can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small can chopped green chiles
- 1 packet taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
Cream of chicken soup, broccoli, rice, chicken, Parmesan cheese, and breadcrumbs.
Cream of celery soup, Italian green beans, wide egg noodles, ham, garlic and two portions Swiss cheese.
Italian-style diced tomatoes, spinach, medium pasta shells, turkey, onion, garlic, mozzarella cheese, and breadcrumbs.
Italian-style diced tomatoes, yellow squash, rice, olives, four portions ( 1 cup) celery, four portions (ditto) bell pepper, garlic, Parmesan cheese, and breadcrumbs.
Now it’s your turn! I’d love it if you’d share your ideas and combinations for casseroles formulas with us below in the comments.
Question: Do you confident enough in the kitchen to fly without a specific recipe?