Dear Mary: Here’s the short version of a long story: Due to an undetected slowly leaking pipe in our home, the basement got very wet over a period of time. The leak has now been fixed and the basement has mostly dried out. But I’m detecting mold and mildew. The smell is awful.
There are affiliate links in this post. If you click through and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
We called the pros to get a price on treating this smelly situation. They are estimating between $1,800 and $2,000 to kill the mold and mildew. Do you think we could do this ourselves for less using the product you recommend for smelly situations? Thanks, Hank
Dear Hank: Before I answer your question, I want to make sure that all of my readers know that mold is a serious situation, and can have adverse health ramifications for humans and animals alike. Mold is not something you want to live with.
Now to your question: Yes, I believe you can do this yourself.
Most people—myself included until I did more research—assume that household bleach will kill mold completely. We assume that because it bleaches the dark color. Not necessarily so.
Even freshly manufactured household bleach is unable to kill mold. Bleach that sits around store shelves or in your home continually gets weaker over time. Even the manufacturers’ usage directions do not recommend using it to kill mold. If you want an effective odor kill, I absolutely recommend that you use Nok-Out. And not to get too technical, Nok-Out is guaranteed to maintain its efficacy within two-year shelf life, when used according to the manufacturer’s directions. It is effective against mold spores because it structurally disassembles the cell so that it cannot revive to re-infest. Nok-Out does indeed kill spores.
The professionals you brought in to assess the problem would likely use a machine called a “fogger” to treat the air (and thus kill the spores). As you have discovered, that is an expensive proposition.
A much cheaper alternative is to use a common household vaporizer to treat the air with Nok-Out, which will kill the spores on surfaces and in the air, overnight. A vaporizer is MUCH slower, but is quiet and can be done overnight while you sleep. Nok-Out is very easy to use and absolutely effective. Nok-Out is not harmful to humans, animals, and the environment yet specifically engineered to target the threats that do plague our indoor environments.
I am going to predict that for no more than $50 you can do this job yourself—with confidence that it has been done right. Your home will not be subjected to chemicals or toxins and you will not have to go to a hotel while the work is being done. Yes, I’m talking cheaper, better and faster!
I want to encourage you to go to NokOut.com to read up on the product. It is not available in stores, but you can order it directly from this site. There you will also find numerous articles (here, here, here, and here) on this specific challenge of treating visible mold and mildew, the areas you cannot reach, and the spores in the air that you cannot see.
Good luck and be sure to let us know how this DIY project works out for you.
One last thing. Sometime in the near future, Nok-Out disinfectant is going to be rebranded under a new name— “Sniper.” Only the name will change but the product itself will not have changed in the least. Nothing “New and Improved”—same great formulation. Stay tuned for more information as it becomes available.