What would we do if we actually had to use everything you own, including all that stuff in the drawers, cupboards, closets, shelves, and boxes in your kitchen, bedrooms, living room, basement, attic, garage, rafters, driveway, patio, side yard, and cars?
Could we do it? It’s not likely.
Instead, we pack it, stack it, and pile it away—even pay rent to store it—and keep accumulating even more. More stuff dilutes the quality of our lives.
Every possession carries two price tags—the original purchase price and the continuing toll. That second amount is paid in upkeep, time, maintenance, and storage. It can charge its toll in anxiety, depression, relationship conflict, financial distress, and even impaired function.
Moving and storing clutter
I’ve done it. Perhaps you have, too. I’ve packed it all up and paid someone to move it to a new place. “I’ll sort it there,” I told myself. Years later, I’m still hounded by unpacked boxes which I’ve moved from one house, one floor, one room or just one side of the closet to another.
Who could calculate the number of hours we’ve tossed down the drain because of clutter? Simple tasks turn into search-and-rescue missions. There are some people in my neighborhood who empty the entire contents of the garage onto the front lawn to retrieve holiday decorations. Then, they take the rest of the day cramming it all back before dark.
Ask yourself these questions to decide if it’s clutter or not:
Does it work? So much of the clutter in our homes is made up of broken things we plan to fix and clothes that might someday fit.
Do I really need it? Determine the impact of this item disappearing from your life.
Do I enjoy it? If this item brings beauty and joy to your life, it is not clutter. Sentimental belongings and things that bring true beauty to our lives should be treated with great care and respect—not packed away in the attic to be forgotten.
Am I using it now? If it doesn’t fall into the 20 percent of things you use on a regular basis (most Americans use 20% of what they own. The other 80% is made up of items we don’t use, feel we should use, or think we might use someday), it is suspect.
Will I use it in the next year? If you are not certain you will use it soon, it’s clutter!
Move it out
Sell it, give it away or throw it out. One of the best solutions for “good stuff” is to give it to someone who wants or needs it.
The more seriously you take this matter of de-junking, the greater the positive impact it will have on your life. Important stuff will be easier to find when you don’t have to rifle through piles of worthless clutter.
More from Everyday Cheapskate
Please keep your comments positive, encouraging, helpful, brief,
and on-topic in keeping with EC Posting Guidelines