The only thing better than making things myself is when what I make turns out to be cheaper, better and faster than something I might buy in the store to accomplish the same goal. Learning how to make powerful tub and shower cleaner rocked my world. I have a feeling it’s about to rock yours, too.
Quite possibly one of the best tips to ever land my mailbox arrived more than 20 years ago. It was from a loyal reader who is a professional property manager. He handles rental apartments in a college town, and lots of them. As an apartment is vacated, his job is to see that it is thoroughly cleaned and made ready for the next occupants.
This reader told me that the biggest challenge is always the bathroom, specifically the tub and shower. He kindly left specific details to my imagination but let me know that “gross” is not strong enough to describe what he often finds.
And that’s when he gave us his super magical potion—the only product he uses to return showers, tubs, tile, enclosures, faucets, and doors to their sparkling clean and sanitized selves.
Tub and Shower Soap Scum Cleaner
I have never found a commercial tub and shower cleaner that comes close to this homemade product. Tub and Shower Soap Scum Cleaner is like magic and I’m not the only who thinks so. I’ve had thousands of responses over the years from my readers who were as astonished as I the first time they used it.
- Blue Dawn
- White vinegar
- Pour one cup blue Dawn into a 32-ounce spray bottle (1/2 cup Dawn if you are using a 16-ounce bottle).
- Fill the bottle the rest of the way with white vinegar.
- Apply sprayer top; shake gently to mix.
To use: Open a window to make sure the area to be cleaned has good ventilation. Spray liberally on the tub, shower, floor, walls, fixtuand doors. Allow to sit from 30 minutes up to overnight, depending on the severity of the problem. Just close the door and walk away.
All of the offensive scum, gunk, mildew, and grime will break down and become soft and gooey. Simply rinse it away.
For especially challenging situations—or if this is the initial treatment—use a sponge or brush to gently scrub the surfaces before rinsing.
Caution: Do not use on stone, marble or granite.
Daily Shower Cleaner
While Tub and Shower Soap Scum Cleaner works really well—it’s simply amazing—it’s not something you are going to want to use for daily maintenance. Instead, use this Daily Shower Cleaner instead to keep your shower sparkling clean.
- 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide
- 1/2 cup rubbing alcohol
- 1 teaspoon liquid dishwashing soap, like blue Dawn
- 1 tablespoon dishwasher rinse aid, like Jet-Dry
- 2 cups water
- Pour all of the ingredients into a large spray bottle (24-ounce or larger). Mix gently.
- This no rinse, no wipe, no scrub shower cleaner spray is safe to use on glass, glazed tile, stone, tubs, doors, and shower curtains. The gentle formula contains no bleach, ammonia or harsh chemicals and it won’t scratch surfaces or leave behind a dull residue.
- Store your daily shower cleaner in a dark cupboard, as hydrogen peroxide begins to break down quickly in the presence of light.
To use: Just before you step out of the shower, spray the walls, doors, fixtures, curtain with Daily Shower Cleaner and walk away.
You may also enjoy:
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon affiliated sites.