As a northerner, born and bred in the Pacific Northwest, it wasn’t until I was well into my adult years that I learned that when it comes to cornbread, there are two very opinionated camps. Those who put sugar in their recipe and those who do not. I belong to the former. To many Southerners, sugar has no place in cornbread and the addition of it is sacrilege.
Here’s my idea of to-die-for cornbread. Crispy, golden edges, soft not dry inside, slightly sweet and so moist it doesn’t even need butter (although who would skip the butter?). And possibly even more important, must be super easy to make and ready to eat start-to-delicious-finish in 30 minutes. Are you with me?
Not exactly a recipe, this is more of a recipe hack—a brilliant way take two $.55 boxes of Jiffy Cornbread Mix then perform a little magic!
No matter where you line up in the cornbread controversy, I’m almost certain you will agree with me that this is the only way you’ll ever make cornbread again. It’s not dry and crumbly but not sweet like cake, either. In a word? Perfect!
The Best Cornbread Ever—Quick and Easy!
- 9 x 13 baking pan
- 2 8.5 oz boxes Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk whole, 2% or evaporated (see NOTES)
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Prepare 9 x 13 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the two boxes of cornbread mix, sour cream, milk, honey and eggs. Pour into your prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until slightly golden brown and a toothpick when inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean. Do not overbake!
Online grocery shopping isn’t for everyone. But if you are prone to impulse shopping or regularly go way over what you intended to spend on groceries for the week—even though you came prepared with a list and a stack of coupons to go with it—shopping for your groceries online might actually save you money. These are the ways that shopping for groceries online have become a total game-changer for me … Read more