As a Northerner born and bred in the Pacific Northwest, it wasn’t until I was well into my adult years that I learned that cornbread has two very opinionated camps. Those who put sugar in their recipe and those who do not.
Unashamedly, I belong to the former, with apologies to my Southerner readers who believe that sugar has no place in cornbread and that adding it is sacrilege!
This is my idea of to-die-for cornbread. Crispy, golden edges, soft not dry inside, slightly sweet and so moist it doesn’t even need butter (although who would skip the butter?). And possibly even more important, must be super easy to make and ready to eat start-to-delicious-finish in 30 minutes. Are you with me?
Not exactly a recipe, this is more of a cornbread hack—a brilliant way to take two $.59 boxes of Jiffy Cornbread Mix* and then perform a little magic!
No matter where you line up in the cornbread controversy, I’m almost certain you will agree with me that this is the only way you’ll ever make cornbread again. It’s not dry and crumbly but not sweet like cake, either. In a word? Perfect!
Oh, and that cute honey dispenser? I got it online. So fun to use.
The Best Cornbread Ever—Quick and Easy!
- 2 8.5 oz boxes Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk whole, 2% , skim , or evaporated (see NOTES)
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Prepare cast iron skillet (or 9 x 13-inch baking pan) with your favorite grease or non-stick cooking spray.
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well with a wooden spoon until well incorporated. Don't overmix.
- Pour into prepared baking pan or cast iron skillet.
- Bake for 25 minutes until slightly golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean. Do not overbake!
Online grocery shopping isn’t for everyone. But if you are prone to impulse shopping or regularly go way over what you intended to spend on groceries for the week—even though you came prepared with a list and a stack of coupons to go with it—shopping for your groceries online might actually save you money. These are the ways that shopping for groceries online have become a total game-changer for me … Read more
Everyday Cheapskate participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn from qualifying purchases at no cost to you.