Just in time for the holidays, quite possibly the easiest, most versatile, amazingly delicious boxed cake mix hack ever to be discovered. I can’t take credit for this, it’s a basic hack I ran into while cruising the Internet—wait, I mean while doing exhaustive research!
I tried it. Again and again. I switched things up, came up with ways to hack the hack and well, it’s amazing. And did I say easy? It’s almost scary, like how can this work? But it does. And as a bonus, this is super budget-friendly, especially when the ingredients are on sale.
- 1 cake mix
- 1 can pie filling
- 3 eggs
That’s it. Mix and match your choice of cake mix with pie filling, dump both plus 3 eggs in a mixing bowl, mix, pour into a bundt pan, loaf pan, or baking pan of choice, bake it, and there you go. Amazing!
My first attempt I used a white cake mix and canned peach pie filling. Amazing! Perfect ratio, moist, and super delicious according to my discriminating, dessert-friendly husband.
(Find the complete recipe card below.)
Cake Mix Choices Galore
It’s amazing how many choices we have in the cake mix aisle of the typical supermarket! Find them on sale and it’s even better. Here’s a sampling:
Pie Filling Choices
Canned pie filling is available in a number of choices as well.
Here are a few match-up ideas.
Easy as 1-2-3. I can’t wait to learn the combinations you create!
- Bundt, 9 x 5-inch loaf, 9-in round, muffin or other cake pans
- 1 15.25 oz. cake mix your choice flavor, see NOTES
- 1 20 oz. can pie filling your choice flavor; about 2 1/3 cups filling
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup sour cream OR optional
- ¼ cup vegetable oil optional
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Prepare cake pan of choice with grease and a dusting of flour.
- Empty cake mix, pie filling, eggs into a mixing bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, mix well, until completely incorporated.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until testing with a toothpick comes out clean. Do not over bake!
- Allow cool for 10 mins, then carefully turn out onto serving platter or plate.
- Finish as desired (dusting of powdered sugar, glaze, icing, sprinkles, go nuts!)
More from Everyday Cheapskate
Please keep your comments positive, encouraging, helpful, brief,
and on-topic in keeping with EC Posting Guidelines