I may be the only person in the world for whom this happens, but I doubt it. On a whim, I invite a bunch of friends over for Sunday Dinner. Or the phone rings and just like that I need to get a meal on the table in a big hurry because guests are on their way.
Those are the occasions that I run to an amazing recipe that is easy to prepare, delicious to eat and quite impressive, too. Think: Italian restaurant in a pan. While it’s in the oven I make a big salad and we’re good to go.
This is a recipe that kids love as well as adults. It’s just amazing and I bless the day that the folks at Pillsbury came up with the idea. I, of course, have tweaked the recipe bit, but I give credit where credit is due.
Because life is uncertain, you will always find a bag of Italian meatballs from Costco and several loaves of Italian bread in my freezer, a big jar of marinara sauce in my grocery stockpile and cheese in the fridge.
You need to try this recipe. Soon. Don’t worry about being exact or that you aren’t a great cook. This is the most forgiving recipe in the world. As long as you do not burn it, there is no way this will turn out anything but fabulous. And it will save you a ton of money when you can whip this out in no time, rather than calling for take-out. Or worse, picking up the tab to take the entire group to a restaurant.
Meatball Sandwich Casserole
- 1 pound or about 32 frozen Italian style meatballs (like Mama Lucia brand or Costco)
- 1 jar of marinara sauce or spaghetti sauce (about 28 oz. or larger)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Italian blend cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 loaf Italian or French bread, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Place entire bag of meatballs in a medium saucepan with sauce (feel free to add garlic, onion powder, salt, and pepper to taste) and cook over medium heat until warmed through, about 10 minutes. Stir as needed to keep meatballs from sticking to the pot. Remove from heat.
- Place meatballs in the center of a 9×13 baking dish, layer mozzarella and Italian blend cheeses over meatballs topping off with the Parmesan.
- Lightly spread garlic butter on the bread or brush lightly with olive oil and garlic and place on a sheet pan (even if you leave the bread plain, it will still turn out fabulously—delicious!).
- Place the pan of meatballs and the sheet pan in the oven and bake for approximately 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly and bread is lightly toasted (keep an eye on the bread as every oven is unique).
- Remove from oven, line the meatball pan with the bread so the pieces are standing up around the perimeter of the pan. Enjoy! Serves 6 to 8. Recipe multiplies easily.
If you have hard flooring, carpet or flat surfaces in your home, which just about covers every possibility—there are three specific vacuum cleaners that deserve your attention: an upright, a cordless stick vac and cordless handheld. These are the three worker bees that I own, love and don’t want to live without…. read more