Several months ago, we had a serious home security wake-up call with the news of a home invasion in our sleepy town, population fewer than 20,000.
In the middle of the night, two young, hoodied thugs went from house to house in a beautiful new development until they found an unlocked window. Once inside, they held the terrified homeowners at gunpoint. Eventually, the perpetrators were caught and charged with 7 counts including kidnapping, grand larceny, and attempted murder (what a story, trust me).
I cannot recall a time I was more grateful to have a robust home security system. Thankfully, our neighbors survived, but the trauma of the event together with the tremendous financial loss will be with them indefinitely.
According to crime statistics from the FBI, in 2017 a burglary happened once every 23 seconds in the U.S. When you add it up, that was 3,757 burglaries a day! Mind-boggling. And things have escalated in the years since. In 2021, the crime rate in the U.S. is about 47.70 per 100,000 people.
While it’s impossible to put a price on the value of protecting your home and family, there is an inexpensive yet highly effective way to create a strong defense against intruders. That means a solid home security system.
Having considered, studied, and evaluated home security systems, I’m convinced that we can do this well using the latest technology available, but without spending a fortune.
SimpliSafe is available in a number of packages or a la carte in that you can start with a basic package and add-on in the future—cameras, additional sensors, and monitoring.
Available direct from SimpliSafe or Amazon. If you are in the market for a home security system, I suggest you go to SimpliSafe first, then once you see what is available, how it works, how easy it is to install yourself, and the best option for your situation—you can compare what you find with the current pricing at Amazon.
Right now when you use this LINK you can get the Essentials package plus a FREE camera direct from SimpliSafe for 20% off. Includes free shipping both ways, in case you decide to return it under the 60-day money-back guarantee. Try it, test it, love it, or return it.
The Essentials package includes a base station, keypad, 3 entry sensors, 1 motion detector, Free camera, and one-month free 24/7 professional monitoring (no phone line needed). SimpliSafe home security systems are compatible with Alexa and Google Assistant.
Reasons I really like SimpliSafe
- Super easy to install. My son did his whole house in under an hour!
- Not interested in installing it yourself? SimpliSafe will help put you in touch with a certified pro to do
the work for you.
- Nothing is permanent. No drilling, no screw holes, no wires.
- It’s totally self-contained. A SimpliSafe system will benefit from wifi, but it’s not necessary.
- Monitoring is very reasonably priced for full 24/7 monitoring
- No contracts
- App integration is solid. Remote arming, disarming, etc.
- It’s legit. It’s not a toy that just makes some noise. SimpliSafe is a full-featured alarm and emergency dispatch system
- It’s very reasonably priced and easily configurable
- Try SimpliSafe in your home for 60 days. If you aren’t 100%nsatisfied, return it for a full refund including return shipping
SimpliSafe offers a number of different packages one of which is probably right for you, depending on the size of your home and specific needs.
SimpliSafe is available at Amazon.ca, but unfortunately, the SimpliSafe system does not currently support professional security monitoring in Canada. However, you may find these features that allow you to self-monitor to be sufficient:
- 24/7 live alarm monitoring
- Back up cellular connection in the event of a power outage or loss of WiFi connection.
- Remotely arm and disarm the system from a mobile device
- Unlimited recording (with a paid interactive plan)
- No monthly contracts
Everyday Cheapskate participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn from qualifying purchases, at no cost to you.