A can opener. A simple tool that is mandatory for every kitchen. Whether you’re a student living in a dorm, a world-class chef in a 5-star restaurant, or somewhere between—you need an easy, reliable way to open a can. That’s about as basic as life gets. Why is it that something so simple as opening a can of food has become such a challenge?
The year was 1810. Peter Durand took food preservation to new levels with his patenting of the tin can. Sadly, those first cans were so thick they had to be hammered open, eliminating all hopes of practicality for home use.
It took a few decades, but finally in 1858, just as our friend Peter was coming up with thinner cans, Ezra Warren patented the first can opener. As primitive as that first opener was, it worked! And that’s a lot more than we can say for most can openers 162 years later.
Can’t anyone make a can opener that’s easy to use, does a great job, and doesn’t turn into absolute junk in a matter of months? An opener that will latch on easily, twist smoothly, and give a clean continuous cut every time? Is that too much to ask?
Perhaps you detect my severe case of angst when it comes to can openers. I’m pretty sure that through the years, I’ve owned ’em all. Most can openers work, at first. But then in what seems like no time at all, they begin to slip causing slips and misses. Or the rotating parts seize up. Is there anything more frustrating than a can opener that refuses to open a can?
Best Inexpensive Can Openers
Today I bring you good news. It’s taken a while but I’ve made a breakthrough. Perhaps my ah-ha moment will become yours as well. Ready?
Here it is: Never put a can opener—any can opener—in the dishwasher, even if it touts dishwasher safe. Just don’t. Never. Ever! That goes for a manual model, a sleek stainless steel option or the working parts of an electric model if those parts come off to be washed. Repeat: Never put a can opener in the dishwasher. The cutting wheel will turn to rust and in time, that will destroy its intricate working parts.
Instead, always wash a can opener by hand with hot soap and water; rinse well, and dry quickly to prevent rust. Keep it rust-free and a good one will keep cutting and working for many years to come.
Here it is, friends. The best manual can opener for under ten bucks. With its vinyl-coated grips, it is simple and functional. It grips cans securely and cuts smoothly every time, producing a top with traditionally sharp edges. This model requires a bit of effort to run it around the top of the can, but for most people the task is easy. If you want a reliable economical can opener, EZ-DUZ-IT Manual Can Opener fits the bill.
Why we like it
- Heavy-duty “swing” design can opener; made of heavy gauge chromed steel
- Features carbon steel cutting blade and thick rubberized deluxe handles for easy grip
- Gear-driven design allows for smooth, easy operation
- Made in the USA!
- The price!!
- Offers many years of service when washed by hand with warm soapy water.
This beautiful stainless steel manual model sits on top of the can, rather than the more traditional “hanging” from the side approach of other can openers. In this way, the can opener separates the can’s lid from its body, so there are no sharp edges. The beautiful Rosle Safety Can Opener with pliers-style grips is smooth and feels great in the hand. Talk about smooth-operation! Wow! And the lid, once removed from the can, can be re-used to store the can’s contents. Gorgeous!
Why we like it
- Made of durable and hygienic 18/10 Stainless Steel
- Easy positioning pliers that grip onto the top of the can, lift the lid from the can so your hands never come into contact with the food.
- Suitable for both right- and left-handed users.
- Ergonomically shaped thumbscrew for smooth and effortless turning
- Safe, lateral cutting wheel which avoids sharp edges along the rim and lid of the can by separating it from the can.
- 20-year warranty with Rosle, when washed by hand!
This smooth touch, electric can opener with the easy push-down lever, is ideal for anyone who enjoys a beautiful appliance sitting out on the counter, but especially for seniors with arthritic hands or other challenges that make a manual opener problematic. Easy to operate, this opener opens all standard-size and pop-top cans. This Hamilton Beach Automatic Can Opener cuts along the side of the can, producing smooth, “touchable,” safe lids.
Why we like it
- Eliminates sharp lid edges: This electric can opener cuts cans along the sides for smooth, touchable lids.
- The price!
- A manually retractable cord.
- Opens pop-top and regular cans: No need to struggle with or handle sharp and messy pop-top lids any longer.
- Easily open cans with one hand, designed with an easy-touch opening lever.
- Sleek chrome and black design: the stylish design of the Hamilton Beach can opener looks great on the countertop and complements any décor.
- 1-year warranty, provided you never put any part of it in the dishwasher!
Everyday Cheapskate participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon affiliated sites.