Quite possibly the easiest, most versatile, amazingly delicious boxed cake hack ever to be discovered. I can't take credit for this, it's a basic hack I ran into while cruising the Internet—wait, I mean while doing exhaustive research!
- 1 15.25 oz. cake mix your choice flavor, see NOTES
- 1 20 oz. can pie filling your choice flavor; about 2 1/3 cups filling
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup sour cream OR optional
- ¼ cup vegetable oil optional
Preheat oven to 350F.
Prepare cake pan of choice with grease and a dusting of flour.
Empty cake mix, pie filling, eggs into a mixing bowl.
Using an electric mixer, mix well, until completely incorporated.
Pour into prepared pan.
Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until testing with a toothpick comes out clean. Do not over bake!
Allow cool for 10 mins, then carefully turn out onto serving platter or plate.
Finish as desired (dusting of powdered sugar, glaze, icing, sprinkles, go nuts!)
1. Cake mix is an ingredient in this recipe. Ignore the ingredients required on the back of the box.
2. Canned pie filling comes in 15 oz. , 20 oz., and also 21 oz. sizes depending on the brand, etc. This recipe works best the larger size, which measure out at about 2 1/3 cups of canned pie filling.
3. If going for a pumpkin cake, make sure you are using "pumpkin pie filling" or "pumpkin pie mix," NOT pumpkin puree, which has not been tested. Not saying it might work, but you're on your own there :)
4. While sour cream or vegetable oil are optional, either (I wouldn't use both in the same cake) will give a very moist and lovely result. However, neither are necessary to make a great 3-ingredient cake!