Posts

Fabric Softeners are the Problem Not the Solution

In the laundry room, most of us are prone to overkill. We want beautifully clean, brilliantly white, soft, and fluffy laundry results. And we don’t measure. We pour stuff out of jugs, straight into the washer, often adding a second big glug just to make sure.

 

Supermarket aisle shelves filled with laundry softening products

We use liquid fabric softener by the gallon and dryer sheets by the hundreds because there’s no such thing as too soft when it comes to towels and sheets. And when things come out looking gray, and feeling stiff and crunchy, what do we do? More detergent, more softener—even more dryer sheets!

Grungy build-up

The problem is product build-up that never gets rinsed out. Every time you do the laundry, more and more product gets left behind. This build-up of detergent and softeners can make appliances stink, colors look dingy, whites turn gray and linens feel stiff and scratchy. Towels, especially, can turn sour and stinky no matter how much you re-wash and re-soften. The detergent and softeners that aren’t properly rinsed away begin to harbor odor-causing bacteria. The washing machine gets stinky, too. But that’s not the worst.

MORE: Stinky Laundry, Smelly Machine: How Nasty Germs Survive in Your Washer and What To Do About It

Health and respiratory issues

The medical website, WebMD.com reports that the perfumes and additives in laundry products may cause skin problems—from itchiness to full-blown dermatitis. Fabric softeners are very allergenic and can cause eczema, which can appear as dry, flaky, chronically itchy skin.

Dryer sheets contain volatile organic compounds like acetaldehyde and butane, which can cause respiratory irritation. Fabric softener chemicals known as quaternary ammonium compounds have been linked to asthma. Acetone, also used in dryer sheets, can cause nervous system effects like headaches or dizziness. Read more

How to Eliminate Odor of Gasoline Spilled Inside Family Vehicle

A message showed up in my inbox that made my heart sink. I couldn’t help imagine what it would be like to lend my car to someone, only to have it come back to me with a little something I’d not counted on—that noxious odor of gasoline!

Worse, what if that condition were permanent?! Thankfully, I have good news for at least one desperate reader.

Portable generator in back of car

 

I have a problem that I can’t solve and was wondering if you would be able to help. Someone borrowed my car recently and transported a small generator in it. Somehow, the gasoline spilled out inside my Explorer and left a very intense gasoline smell.

“I have tried everything I can think of and nothing has removed the smell. I steamed cleaned it with carpet shampoo, sprinkled it with baking soda and vacuum it up, saturated it with Nok-Out at least three times but to no avail. Can you help? Lisa

My first reaction to Lisa’s dilemma was to wonder if this “someone” was at one time on her list of friends (relatives?) but I won’t go there. Instead, I do have a solution and one that does not involve pushing that SUV off a cliff. It’s long, so bear with me.

This is definitely a job for Nok-Out—an odor-eliminating product that is non-toxic, fragrance-free and absolutely works wonders to eliminate the strong odor of gasoline providing it is used specifically and scientificallyRead more

11 Everyday Uses for Nok-Out—the World’s Best Odor Eliminator

Nok-Out and I met quite by accident. While searching for ways to deal with offensive odors—that musty smell of an old book or the stench of pet urine—we found each other online. Twenty years later I’m still convinced that there’s just nothing else like an amazing product called Nok-Out.

Smelly old books and pet odors

Nok-Out eliminates odors scientifically through a process known as oxidation. It is completely non-toxic, contains no chemicals or fragrance and no odor of its own. It is safe to use in the kitchen and around children because it is harmless to humans and animals.

I’ve used Nok-Out and now its companion SNiPER continuously in my home since then and have recommended it to readers facing serious and potentially expensive odor issues. Thousands of people have reported back how Nok-Out has saved the day on more than a few occasions!

In the beginning, I hoarded my precious gallon of Nok-Out, somehow assuming that I  must save it for serious, super smelly situations.

After all, one just never knows when oh, let’s say a skunk might wander into the house, become startled and then do what skunks are known to do. Or the power goes out while you’re on vacation and the freezer turns into a big nasty garbage dump. Or pet odors, sick rooms, mold and mildew and any number of other smelly situations.

Read more