Dump and run. That’s the kind of slow cooker recipe I love. No muss, no fuss— and no hovering over a hot stove to get dinner on the table.
As the days of autumn bring cooler weather, I find myself thinking about hot soup. And having dinner all planned and taken care of ahead of time.
These hearty soups couldn’t be easier to whip up.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 pound cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 15-oz can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
- 1 10-oz can enchilada sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 4-oz can chopped green chiles
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 14.5 oz chicken broth
- 1 tspn cumin
- 1 tspn chili powder
- 1 tspn salt
- 1/4 tspn ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 10-oz pkg frozen corn
- tortilla chips, optional garnish
- sour cream, optional garnish
- grated cheese, optional garnish
- Place all ingredients into the slow cooker in a 6-qt slow cooker. Stir. Cover.
- Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or on High for 3 to 4 hours.
- Optional: Garnish with tortilla chips, sour cream and grated cheese. Amazing.
Creamy Potato Soup
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 med onion
- 2 10.5 oz cans condensed chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- ½ tspn salt
- ½ tspn dried dil weed
- ½ tspn ground white pepper substitute black pepper OK
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cuyps half and half
- 1 12-oz can evaporated milk
- Grated cheese, bacon bits, chopped green onion, optional garnish
- In a small skillet over high heat, sauté the onion with the bacon until bacon is evenly browned.
- Drain off excess grease and place bacon and onions into slow cooker along with the chicken broth, water, potatoes, salt dill weed and pepper. Cover.
- Cook on Low for 6 to 7 hours, stirring half way through.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and half and half.
- Stir into the soup along with the evaporated milk.
- Cover and slow cook for another 30 minutes before serving.
- Optional garnish: Grated cheese, bacon bits, and chopped green onion. Enjoy!
Quick and Easy Chicken and Dumplings
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 10.75-oz cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 14-oz can chicken broth
- 1 med onion, finely diced
- 2 10-oz packages refrigerated biscuit dough torn into pieces
- Place the chicken, butter, soup, onion, and chicken broth in a slow cooker. Cover.
- Slow cook for 5 to 6 hours on High.
- About 30 minutes before serving, place the torn biscuit dough in the slow cooker. Cook until the dough is no longer raw in the center.
- You won’t believe how good this is!
More from Everyday Cheapskate
Please keep your comments positive, encouraging, helpful, brief,
and on-topic in keeping with EC Posting Guidelines