Don’t panic. Father’s Day is a week from Sunday. You still have time to get ready but you need to move quickly. To help you out, I’ve compiled a handy resource list of 16 different gift ideas, starting as low as $5, for that special Dad in your life.
Each of these gifts can be purchased online at Amazon, however that may not be your only resource. I am giving you links to make it as simple as possible for you to shop and compare in the little time you have left. And just so you know, no companies, retailers or manufacturers provided any of these products to us in exchange for an endorsement. My husband and I have purchased these items on our own and created our own reviews and recommendations.
So let’s get started. This first group of gift ideas will appeal to your man …
1. Cordless Drill. There are cordless drills and then there’s this Black & Decker 20-volt Matrix Drill. This thing is amazing. With a 20-volt high-performance motor (serious power for a handheld drill) it’s anything but wimpy and more than able to carry out even the most challenging home improvement and maintenance jobs. Your man will love the quick-charging lithium battery that comes with a charging unit. This baby is is quite a bargain, too.
2. LED Flashlight. Every man needs one of these in his pocket at all times. This super mini Cree LED Flashlight is like a mini torch, that’s just how bright it is. It runs on a single AA battery, producing 300 lumens output with adjustable focus zoom. For the price it can’t be beat.
3. Stud Finder. I know what you’re thinking: They don’t work. And normally I would agree, but finally someone known as CH Hanson has broken the code. This Magnetic Stud Finder is amazingly reliable and accurate. If a man in your life has ever made 57 holes in the wall before actually locating a stud, he wasn’t trying to annoy you. He just didn’t have one of these! This is every handyman’s dream come true. And a bargain to boot.
4. LED Lantern. Now this is some serious kind of light. And reliable? Oh, yeah. Rayovac Sportsman LED Lantern runs on three D batteries, which will power it up for 40 hours on high, 90 hours on low. See what I mean? Reliability. And the 4-watt LEDs will last for 100,000 hours, which really means forever. And get this: It comes with a full lifetime warranty. No man wants to run the risk of being stuck in the dark and one of these will make sure it doesn’t happen.
5. One Serious Appliance. Yes, this is Blendtec Total Blender and it is the biggest and baddest. Blendtec sits on our kitchen counter where we have used it every day for years. I know about this appliance. It’s not for sissies. And it’s not just a blender. Your guy can get rid of his grain mill, juicer, bread machine, ice-cream maker, smoothie maker, blender, milkshake maker, coffee grinder and ice crusher too, because Blendtec does it all. This professional-quality 1,500-watt 3-horsepower juggernaut of a machine can handle almost any kitchen task. I’m sure it could grind nuts and bolts into a fine powder. This is it: the last blender you’ll ever buy.
6. Stovetop Griddle. Oh, how I love and adore my new Nordic Ware 2 Burner Backsplash Griddle. Know why? It makes me feel like a guest on Guy Fieri’s “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives,” (Food Network). I now know the joy of cooking on a “flat top.” You know what I’m talking about and it’s not Guy’s hair. My new gas range does not have a built-in griddle, a choice I regretted at first. But no more. This baby is so cool. It sits over two burners and it’s made of cast aluminum so it heats evenly. (When not in use, I store it in the oven.) I have not used a skillet or fry pan since this sweetie followed me home. And clean up is a breeze because it is non-stick and has that little backsplash and drip reservoir. Truly a remarkable piece of kitchen awesomeness. (Also available in a single-burner size.)
7. Grill Set. With summer in full swing, who wants to cook indoors? Not a serious grill man, that’s for sure. And he needs the right tools to get the job done. Here they are: Cuisinart 14-Piece Deluxe Stainless-Steel Grill Set. This set even includes 8 corn holders and cleaning brush, with everything fitting neatly into a sleek aluminum carrying case.
8. Chef’s Knife. Prepared to be amazed by this next item. And I mean by the quality and the price. This 8-inch multipurpose chef’s knife is perfect for chopping, mincing, slicing and dicing. It is high-carbon stainless steel, which means it’s sharp and retains that edge when cared for properly. Made in Switzerland where they know a thing or two about cutlery, this Victorinox Fibrox 8-Inch Chef’s Knife is an excellent choice for the home chef. Your man will not be disappointed.
9. TV Streaming Player. I don’t know a man alive who wouldn’t be excited about pulling the plug on his cable service and still have access to all of his favorite TV shows and movies. Roku 3 Streaming Player plugs into his TV and works with the existing Internet or WIFI in your home to allow him to stream thousands of movies and TV shows for FREE. The Roku also allows you to connect your Amazon Prime, Netflix, or Hulu Plus accounts to expand your viewing library. Roku 3 has all the bells and whistles with up to 1080p HD video and extended-range, dual-band wireless performance. Free iOS and Android device apps allow him to use his Android or iPhone like a remote. Check. It. Out. And the price? I’m guessing less than one-month of your current cable service.
10. Remote Control. You know what drives me crazy? Multiple remote controls. I mean seriously, is this the only way to control multiple electronic devices? The answer would be yes, unless you replace all of them with this one, sleek Logitech Harmony 300 Remote Control. It controls up to four audio/visual components and is compatible with 225,000 difference brands and models. Unlike other universal remotes, online programming of this remote is awesome and quick—like five minutes to get everything set and ready to roll. And it’s priced well.
11. Kindle Reader. If your man is as voracious a reader as mine, you may know what it’s like to have stacks and stacks of books everywhere. And some of them library books that are about to become overdue. Know what solved that issue for us? An electronic reader. Kindle Paperwhite is the latest and greatest version and just too cool for school. Holds up to 1,100 books so he can take his library wherever he goes. The price is right, too.
12. GPS Rangefinder. The GolfBuddy Voice GPS Rangefinder is the first golf GPS that displays and also speaks the distances. He won’t have to worry if he forgot his reading glasses. GolfBuddy is smaller than 2-inches square and weighs only 1 ounce. All your golfer has to do is press a single button and it displays and speaks the distance to the next hole. Isn’t technology great? For the serious golfer.
13. Aftershave. Here it is, ladies. An aftershave that men like because it is cooling while at the same time reduces rashes and razor burn—and we love because it smells so wonderful. Not overpowering, Proraso Aftershave Lotion, Refresh is made from natural ingredients offering a very pleasant, clean, mild fragrance—an aftershave product you can give with confidence. And it won’t bust the budget.
14. Pocket T-Shirt. If your guy is like mine, he is picky about his T-shirts. They have to be all cotton, tight around the neck, a pocket on the left, sleeves that are not too short and made from material that won’t shrink. And they have to feel sturdy. I know of only one brand that meets my boys’ Dad (had to get Father’s Day in here somewhere) and that is Carhartt Men’s Workwear Pocket T-Shirt. Available in regular or tall and in sizes to XXXX-Large, this shirt comes in 20 different colors. Caution: This T-shirt runs large. (Hunter Green, Size L; price varies slightly with size and color).
15. Sunglasses. Not all guys can tolerate sunglasses from the dollar store. If that describes your man, take a look at the latest Ray-Ban New Wayfarer Sunglasses. With a rock-and-roll look, these frames are classic Wayfarer, first introduced by Ray-Ban in 1952. He’ll love the great fit (two sizes from which to choose), and you’ll love that they come in a variety of frame and lens colors. As a bonus, the polarized lenses are RX-able, which means they can be taken to an optician to be ground to a prescription.
16. PJs. What would Father’s Day be without new PJs for Dad? And given that it’s summer and all, why not save a few bucks with just pants—Bottoms Out Mens Relaxed Fit Woven Lounge/Sleepwear Pants. They’re roomy, super soft, two-pocketed, and just plain cool.
Hopefully, this gives you some ideas for Father’s Day gifts and takes the stress out of last-minute planning. Have a great celebration.