No one knows your hair better than you do. But is it possible that in your efforts to keep it healthy and looking good, you are washing money down the drain needlessly? Consider these mistakes many people make.
Mistake: Expensive shampoo. Come on … ‘fess up. You feel guilty using $.99 shampoo because it’s really bad for your hair. And anybody knows the $24 salon variety is so much better especially for chemically treated hair, right? Wrong! Price has nothing to do with it.
The secret to shampoo intelligence is to know your detergents. Look at the list of ingredients. Water (or some fancy name for it) will always be the first ingredient. Next comes the detergent. It’s tricky, so keep this list handy.
- Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate – very harsh
- Ammonium Laureth Sulfate – harsh
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) – still harsh
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) – mild, great choice
- TEA Lauryl Sulfate – gentle, good choice
- TEA Laureth Sulfate – gentle, also a good choice Read more