Every year about this time, the age-old question comes up to baffle lots of people: Practical or sentimental? The answer of course depends on your mother.
Let me assure you that many of us (and yes I am one) really do love and adore well-thought out, practical gifts—even a fabulous vacuum cleaner. Or the latest kitchen gadget, tool or device we’ve been dying to have.
Then there are others of us who are downright insulted by practical gifts on Mother’s Day. We’re the sentimental type who love a beautiful bouquet of flowers, plaque or wall hanging that is so lovely that it brings tears to our eyes.
So, what is it for your mom? Practical or sentimental? Either way, I’ve got you covered with 16 ideas for really great Mother’s Day gifts—each one as affordable as it is lovely.
PRACTICAL GIFTS FOR MOM
1. Essential Oil Cool Mist Diffuser. If there is such a thing as a perfect-in-every-way aromatherapy diffuser for essential oils, this is it! And beautiful, too. Nearly silent while in operation, comes with a timer, auto shut-off and 7 color mood lighting.
2. Herb Scissors. Snip herbs in perfectly sized pieces right onto plates and pans just like the finest restaurants. Stainless steel Jenaluca Herb Scissors work like a charm and cleans easily with the cleaning comb that is also the blade protector while being stored. Uniquely useful kitchen gadget.
3. Handheld Cordless Vac. Black and Decker’s latest and best version of its Dustbuster—BLACK + DECKER CHV1410L 16V Cordless Lithium Hand Vac is as close to perfection as your mom (or you!) will ever experience. It’s that great. With extra long run time, it’s easy-to-clean, and perfectly balanced in the hand—this handy tool is also useful thing of beauty!
4. Pour-Over Coffee Maker. What a sweet, small, all-glass coffee maker for brewing coffee using the manual pour-over coffee method that produces consistent, rich quality and distinctly flavorful results. No paper filters required because it comes with a reusable stainless filter that fits snugly into the glass top. The HIC Pour-Over Coffee Maker has a high-heat (make it stovetop safe) borosilicate glass carafe with a bamboo handle and stainless steel collar that resists shock and breakage; won’t absorb odors or transfer flavors. Brews 1 to 4 cups of coffee and looks cool, too.
5. Instant Food Thermometer. Lots of food thermometers say they’re instant, but don’t believe it. Most of them (trust me) are disappointingly not instant nor are they accurate. That’s what makes the ThermoPop Kitchen Thermometer unique amongst its peers—it registers a correct temperature within 3 to 4 seconds. Your mom will love this handy useful gadget (and you, too) forever. Comes in a ton of cool colors.
6. Bluapple One-Year Combo Pack. The perfect gift for the frugal mom—one who hates to throw out fruits and vegetables that are over-the-hill and destined for the composter. She hates when that happens—and thanks to her new Blu Apple Combo Pak, it won’t. Just tuck a Bluapple into the fruit bowl and refrigerator vegetable drawer and they’ll absorb all of that ethylene gas that fruits and vegetables produce—the culprit that makes them spoil. And this combo comes with sufficient refills to last for a full year.
7. Cordless Stick Vac. It’s the discriminating mom who’s been looking for the perfect stick vacuum like forever! And she’s likely come to the conclusion no such thing exists. You’re about to change all of that when she opens your gift of the Eufy Cordless Stick Vaccum. Oh my, this thing is not only sweet to look at and use—it has a large 2200 mAh Li-ion (lithium) battery that delivers 28.8 volts of power. That gives this stick vac gives the longest run-time imaginable. It stands alone, has headlights, is whisper quiet and light as a feather!
8. Instant Pot Duo. If your mom doesn’t have an Instant Pot, there’s only one question: If not now, when?! It’s time and no better day than Mother’s Day to make that happen. You will rock her culinary world. That’s how wonderful this thing is with 7 different functions and the ability to turn out fabulous meals in like 15 minutes—which you have to admit qualifies for “instant.” About $99.
SENTIMENTAL GIFTS FOR MOM
9. Butterfly Suncatcher. This pretty suncatcher features real pressed flowers between glass in the shape of a gorgeous butterfly. Look closely and you’ll see a hanging charm that says simply, “Mom.” Comes with a suction cup and hook for quick and easy hanging in just the right sunny window.
10. Funny Mug. You know you’re her favorite, so let this funny coffee mug say it right out loud. Besides the fun, you’ll be giving your mom a quality mug for her morning coffee that will keep a smile on her face all year long.
11. Framed Art Piece. This beautifully framed art piece, “A Prayer for My Mom,” is sure to touch the heart of your sentimental mom. Double matted, it comes ready to hang and also with an easel back for easy tabletop display.
12. What I Love About Mom. This little book is the sweetest love journal. It contains fill-in-the-blank lines to describe why your mom’s the best. Just complete each line and Voilà! you have a uniquely personal gift your mom will read again and again. Make it as hilarious, honest or heartfelt as you choose. Perfect for all ages.
13. Gorgeous Pendant. You’re going to think this has to be cheesy, but I’m telling you—it’s not. In fact, this sterling silver pendant necklace with a CZ diamond is even prettier than pictured. While it doesn’t include the words, “I have the best mom in the world!” that’s exactly the message it will send.
14. Mom Candle. This Scentiments Mom Gift Candle comes in the prettiest 16-ounce size mason-type jar, and in your choice of many fragrances. The labeling and attached gift card are just beautiful. Made from 100% Soy wax, this will give mom the cleanest and safest burning candle possible.
15. Black Leatherette Picture Frame. There’s nothing subtle about the message on this beautiful, black leatherette picture frame, and why should it be subtle that you love your mom forever! Perfect to accept a favorite photo that your mom will enjoy putting on display to remind her every day that she has the best kids in the world.
16. Heart Wooden Spoon. Whether mom will ever actually use this heart-shaped bamboo spoon to cook with, or simply display it proudly in her countertop utensil holder, remains to be seen. What we know for certain is that every time she sees it, she’ll smile because it’s almost as cute as the child who gave it to her!