Gift-giving is surely on everyone’s mind as we head into the final weeks before Christmas. Giving gifts is a wonderful holiday tradition—one in which I participate fully because it brings me so much joy.
Recently, I opened my email box to find a really nice message from a reader looking for help with gift suggestions for her husband’s administrative staff—a group of sharp, young professionals both male and female. He wants to acknowledge each with an appropriate gift—something that won’t be so dorky it shows up in next spring’s garage sale or worse, the trash. And he also wants to stay away from any gift that could be seen as too personal. His budget it about $30 per gift.
I accepted the challenge and went right to work, contacting several of the sharpest, smartest young professionals I know, asking for their opinions, suggestions and help. Together we came up with suggestions of gifts that each of them would thoroughly enjoy receiving from a supervisor, boss—or anyone, for that matter.
While I was in gift-guide mode, it dawned on me that over the past weeks, we’ve hit on gifts for kids, teens and even gifts baskets. But what about moms and dads? Read on and you’ll see we’ve got that covered there, too, just in case you’re behind the eight ball and need quick, reliable suggestions. It’s not too late, but you have no time to waste.
If you’re sweating bullets wondering if any of these items will possibly arrive before Christmas, the answer is a qualified yes—only if you use Amazon Prime shipping and place your order before midnight on Tuesday, Dec. 22. Don’t have a Prime membership? You’re in luck! Click HERE then click “Try Prime” to get a free 30-day trial Prime membership. You can use it immediately, and at no cost for a full month, at which time you are free to cancel it. Each of the gifts that follow qualify for Prime shipping at this writing.
YOUNG PROFESSIONALS &
1. FABULOUS GYM BAG. This Adidas medium-size duffel is exactly that—fabulous. Just the right size, this bag is well-designed with zippers and pockets in all the right places. Comes in 11 colors. Perfect gym bag. Great size, good price. In black, about $30.
2. iPHONE LIGHTNING CABLE. Need to transfer data or charge your Apple iOS devices on the go? Problem solved! This Apple certified Avantree iPhone Keychain Short Lightning Cable attaches to your keychain, so you can charge and sync your gadgets wherever you are. Your keys are always with you when you leave the house so you’ll never leave it behind. Better, you won’t even notice you’re carrying it. About $15.
3. PORTABLE PHONE CHARGER. Small as a candy bar, Anker PowerCore 10000 is one of the smallest and lightest 10000mAh external batteries. Ultra-compact, high-speed power bank for iPhone, Samsung Galaxy and more. Charges the iPhone 6 3.5 times, Galaxy S6 2.5 times and other smartphones multiple times before it needs to be recharged. Come with a micro USB cable, travel pouch, product guide and an 18-month warranty. About $25.
4. BREAKFAST SANDWICH MAKER. This is not a kitchen gadget that will be one and done. No way will this get stuck in the back of a college dorm room or apartment closet. The Hamilton Beach Breakfast Sandwich Maker’s unique design creates a home-cooked breakfast sandwich in just five minutes. Watch the video. It’s great! Can’t think of a more perfect gift for the busy starving student or young professional making his or her way up the corporate ladder. About $24.
5. LAPTOP BACKPACK. Fits up to a 15-inch laptop computer with a zippered speed pocket. Includes a secure place for your cell phone and or boarding pass. Interior expanded to accommodate books, files and folders. This AmazonBasics Laptop Backpack including an organizational panel keeps chargers, cords, pens and small electronics untangled and organized for easy use. About $20.
6. ROLLER BALL PEN. The Uni-Ball Jetstream RT Fine Point Retractable Roller Ball Pen was voted best pen by The Wirecutter—the cutting edge site that rates and reviews all kinds of products for its millennial audience. Back to the pen: Unique hybrid ink offers the smoothness of a gel with the quick-drying properties of a ballpoint. Ideal for left-handers because the ink dries so fast, there’s little chance of smudging. Uni Super ink is specially formulated to become trapped in paper, helping prevent criminal check washing and other document alteration. Archival-quality, acid-free ink is fade- and water-resistant. Great gift in the 3-pack option; comes in under $10.
7. LAP DESK. The LapGear Deluxe Laptop Lap Desk is as sleek as it is useful. Fits up to 17-inch laptops and comes with media slot to hold your cell phone to organize your work surface. Has precision-tracking mouse pad for those who prefer to use a mouse. Airflow channel reduced unwanted heat generated by a laptop. Has dual-blster pillows to conform to your lap, providing comfort and stability. Choice of colors. Under $40.
8. SLEEP MASK AND EAR PLUGS. What young student or professional doesn’t long for more quality sleep? Here’s the gift that will fulfill that dream. Bedtime Bliss Comfortable Sleep Mask & Ear Plugs comes with a handy travel case. And boy does it work. Made to block out light, it’s so lightweight your sleepy recipient will not even feel it. Contoured, this mask creates room to open your eyes, yet still relax in darkness. Won’t smudge makeup either, which makes a quick power nap a distinct possibility. Choice of colors, about $13.
9. CLIP-ON IPHONE CAMERA LENS SET. That camera on your smartphone or tablet is adequate for most situations. But now and then who doesn’t long for a great fisheye (for selfies, of course) and a lens that lets you zoom in for extreme close-up viewing and one for wide angles. This set of lenses comes with all three, compatible with iPhone 8, 7 Plus, 7, 6s Plus, 6s, Samsung and smartphones. Great reviews, too. Less than $25.
10. INFUSION WATER BOTTLE. Not only is Savvy Infusion Water Bottle beautiful, it has excellent function. The point of the bottle is to load the center chamber with things like strawberries, lemon and cucumber to infuse and flavor the water. Unlike most other infuser bottles, this one is designed to keep seeds and pulp from floating out into the water. It’s fantastic and a cinch to clean. Holds a full 24 ounces of water. The bottle is easy to hold, and it has a snap-on lid that makes it easy to travel with. Dishwasher safe. Leak-proof and carbonated-water friendly. Gorgeous! About $15.
11. EUFY CORDLESS STICK VAC. It’s the discriminating mom who’s been looking for the perfect stick vacuum like forever! And she’s likely come to the conclusion no such thing exists. You’re about to change all of that when she opens your gift of the Eufy HomeVac Cordless Stick Vacuum. Oh my, this thing is not only sweet to look at and use—it has a large 2200 mAh Li-ion (lithium) battery that delivers 28.8 volts of power. That gives this stick vac gives the longest run-time imaginable. It stands alone, has headlights, is whisper quiet and light as a feather! About $100. (Here’s coupon code to get $30 off the black model: MHECEUFY. Exp 12-8-17).
12. LEATHER TOTE BAG. This Genuine Leather Shoulder Bag is 100% gorgeous. Top zipper close, fully lined with 2 generous main pockets, central zippered pocket that fits iPad, one side zippered pocket for wallets and another two pockets for keys/cards/phone. High quality YKK zippers. Choice of colors. An amazing bag at a great price. About $55.
13. POUR-OVER COFFEE MAKER. What a sweet, small, all-glass coffee maker for brewing coffee using the manual pour-over coffee method that produces consistent, rich quality and distinctly flavorful results. No paper filters required because it comes with a reusable stainless filter that fits snugly into the glass top. The HIC Pour-Over Coffee Maker has a high-heat (makes it stovetop safe) borosilicate glass carafe with a bamboo handle and stainless steel collar that resists shock and breakage; won’t absorb odors or transfer flavors. Brews 1 to 4 cups of coffee and looks cool, too. About $25.
14. HILARIOUS COFFEE MUG. You know you’re her favorite, so let this funny coffee mug say it right out loud. Besides the fun, you’ll be giving your mom this quality mug for her morning coffee that will keep you on her mind with a smile on her face. Under $15.
15. ESSENTIAL OIL SET. An excellent starter kit that comes with six bottles of oils: lavender, tea tree, eucalyptus, lemongrass, sweet orange, and peppermint. Each bottle contains 100% pure unadulterated essential oil; without any fillers, additives, bases or carriers. Use this set with the diffuser coming up next. About $15.
16. ESSENTIAL OIL COOL MIST DIFFUSER. If there is such a thing as a perfect-in-every-way InnoGear Aromatherapy Diffuser for essential oils, this is it! And beautiful, too. Nearly silent while in operation, comes with a timer, auto shut-off and 7-color mood lighting. About $25.
17. LED PENLIGHT. This Streamlight Stylus Pro LED PenLight with Holster is perfect for all of dad’s hobbies—hiking, camping, fishing, car repair, dog walking or any number of emergencies. It’s so bright you’ll have a hard believing it fits in his pocket like a pen. And it clips onto just about anything for hands free lighting. Check those reviews! About $11.
18. ICE BALL MAKER. Dad can say goodbye to watered down drinks with slow-melt ice cube technology. Rox Ice Ball Maker creates 4 perfect ice cube spheres, in the ideal size for the whiskey lover, scotch connoisseur. Freeze in such a way as to create bubbles inside the spheres, which make for a sparkling effect. That’s called a touch of class! Unique design that freezes perfect ice balls every time. Under $15.
19. SHREDDER CLAWS. I know what you’re thinking: backscratcher? The answer would be, No and please do not try that! Here’s the deal: Pulled pork is a delicious way to prepare pork. The problem: It can be difficult and time consuming to do the pulling with a couple of forks! These Pulled Pork Shredder Claws are so strong and such a cool and unique gift idea that will allow any grillin’ dad to prepare that meal easier and quicker than every before. Dishwasher safe and appropriately gnarly looking. Under $15.
20. FOGLESS SHOWER MIRROR. Many men prefer to shave in the shower and that presents a problem: Fog. This Fogless Shower Mirror solves that problem. It’s guaranteed to be fogless for life. Requires no annoying fog sprays. Ever. Fill it with hot shower water and it’s good to go. Easy. Just look at those reviews. About $30.
21. GRILL GLOVES. Every guy who proudly handles that BBQ grill (summer is coming, I promise), will be thrilled with these Ekogrips Max Heat Silicone BBQ Grill Oven Gloves, that comes in three sizes. Heat resistant with maximum protection. Waterproof and dishwasher safe, too. About $25.
22. LEATHERMAN MICRA TOOL. This Leatherman Micra Keychain-Size Multitool provides tough tools that all fold up into a tiny package. Includes three screwdrivers, scissors, nail file, ruler, bottle opener, knife and tweezers. I lost one of these to TSA while going through airport security, and it broke my heart. Loved that little thing and used it often. (This is not a dads-only gift.) About $30.
23. CORDLESS DRILL. This Black+Decker 20-Volt MAX Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill/Driver is ideal for drilling into wood, metal plastic and all screw driving tasks. With a powerful Li-ion rechargeable battery, it’s lighter, more company; no battery memory and longer life. Check out the thousands of 5-star reviews! Under $50.