How to Prevent Cheese From Turning Green and Moldy

Call me picky, but I prefer my greens to be those of the garden variety, not something growing on my cheese. 

Don’t you just hate when that happens? You buy a block of cheese and before you can use it up it turns into something that looks more like a science fair project than a tasty dairy product.

 

I’ll admit it. Back in my carefree spendthrift days, I’d toss the cheese in the garbage when it turned moldy—oblivious to the fact that I might as well be throwing dollar bills away.

True, we could opt for buying just a few slices at a time from the deli counter, but that’s too expensive. And unnecessary. I can save more than $2 a pound off the best price at the supermarket if I buy in bulk from a discount warehouse like Sam’s Club or Costco. And that presents a storage challenge.


MORE: Food Cost-Cutting Strategies for Every Lifestyle


Whoever said, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure,” must have been a deli owner. Think about it. With all that cheese in those cases, have you ever seen one growing green mold? Never. 

All I know about the proper care and handling of cheese I learned from one such person. That kind deli owner introduced me to the two archenemies of cheese: bacteria and air.

 

 

Ounce of prevention

Air

Limit exposure to air and you can greatly extend the useful life of any type of cheese. For hard cheeses like cheddar or Monterey Jack, make sure that you keep them tightly wrapped with plastic wrap.

Bacteria

We know that it takes bacteria to make cheese in the first place, but that is much different than the kind of bacteria on your hands.

Rule 1

The first rule of mold prevention: Each time you open it, reseal just as tightly and completely as possible. That takes care of the air problem.

Rule 2

The second rule of mold prevention: Don’t touch the cheese! Even when you wash your hands well, some amount of bacteria remains and while it’s not at all harmful to you or the cheese, that’s what gets that green thing going.

Either wear food preparation gloves or make sure the plastic is always creating a barrier between your hands and the portion of the cheese that’s going back into the refrigerator.


RELATED: 16 Surprising Reasons to Stop Throwing Out Pickle Juice


Pound of cure

For a cheese that has already turned, there are a couple of remedies.

Vinegar

You can actually wipe the mold away with a clean cloth you’ve dipped into white vinegar. Not the most pleasant job, it does work to save the cheese.

Cut it out

Another useful technique is to simply cut away the moldy parts. Once all the green is gone, treat this as you would a new block of cheese by following the two rules above.

Bonus

I’ll close today’s column with a bonus tip that will at least double the shelf life of cottage cheese. Once opened, stir in a pinch of salt. That retards the growth of bacteria without affecting the taste. Apply the lid tightly to the unused portion and then store it upside down in the refrigerator. This will seal out air.

First published: 4-19-19


PREVIOUSLY: Einstein in the Kitchen or Let Them Eat (Carrot) Cake

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Caught yourself reading all the way 'til the end? Why not share with a friend.

5 replies
  1. dholcomb1
    dholcomb1 says:

    Mold has spindles which permeates into the cheese. Wiping it away does not get rid of the mold, especially if it’s a soft cheese. Toss the soft cheese. If it’s hard cheese, cut 1″ away. If there’s less than 1″ of cheese, toss it.

    Reply
  2. EriGee
    EriGee says:

    What about unopened grated cheese? We bought a big package the other day that I missed putting away, so it was still unopened, unused, untouched, etc…. My husband put it away the next morning and insisted that it’s “still good” because cheese is “well-preserved”. I rolled my eyes, waved my hands, and raised my eyebrows, and said, “it’s your life, buddy!” LOL Seriously, though…”SAFE?” We’re not wealthy people by ANY stretch of the imagination! Our fridge slowly died last week (ie, it died one weekend and we moved everything to our much smaller spare; we fiddled with it and it was working fine two days later so we moved everything back inj and two days later it was dead…hubby fiddled again, it worked, then it died, it worked, we called a repairman…it worked fine…then it died…hubby figured out what was wrong so he told the repair guy to replace the thermostat and now it seems to still work fine after a week, so…?) ANYway: We lost a lot of food during that process, things that I tossed when he wasn’t around, especially the big package of ground meat I bought at a BARGAIN price (*sniffle*) and many of my fresh veggies that couldn’t take the shock of being moved back & forth in this heat & the shock of the fridge being on & off I guess. But now he’s grouching about the cheese. He insists that it’s fine. What do I do? Is it safe to eat or not?

    Reply
  3. crabbyoldlady
    crabbyoldlady says:

    It seems that one it starts to turn green, it also starts to ripen. I have tossed some cheese simply because it became much too ripe for me to enjoy.

    Reply
  4. dholcomb1
    dholcomb1 says:

    https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/food-and-nutrition/faq-20058492

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *