I’ve been holding onto the coolest gift idea since last Christmas and it has not been easy. I’ve wanted to tell you, but only at the perfect time. It’s a gift I gave my husband—quite possibly the best gift I have ever given him. Ever. Let me explain.
Having been married to the same man for 48 years (I know, I can’t believe it either), given birth to and co-raised our two now-adult sons and now the luckiest grandma on earth to our two grandsons, I know a thing or two about the male human. He loves a flashlight. A good flashlight. Really powerful. One that always works, is always handy, which means never lost.
Imagine all of these features in a flashlight that is the size of a fat tube of lipstick. With a pocket clip, so it slips into a pocket without going all the way to the bottom, where it ceases to be 100% handy. And has several settings for brightness. And it has a magnet on the end to make it stick to things so you can have both hands free.
Stop imagining because such a thing really does exist. But here’s the very best feature of all: It has a rechargeable battery just like a mobile phone—a tiny mini-USB port (adorable). You recharge it just like a cell phone!
Harold has used his pocket flashlight every day—maybe every hour—for five months now, and charged it fewer than six times. That’s how powerful this rechargeable battery is. It can hold a charge like forever.
I’m going to jump out on a limb and say there could not be a better gift for any male person (OK, I want one, too) on any gift list for any occasion than the first item on our Father’s Day Gift Guide 2018.
Word to the wise: The good stuff sells out fast, which is why you’re reading this a full three weeks ahead of Father’s Day, June 17.
1. Compact LED Flashlight. Olight S1 mini Baton Compact LED Flashlight just the best indispensable personal piece of equipment for the men in your life (see above). It’s reliable, perfectly engineered and so stinkin’ useful! There are knockoffs trying to be as fabulous, but none can match this Olight S1 Mini. Best. Gift. Ever. About $45
2. Personal Memoir. This is such a great gift for any dad or grandfather—a kind of template in a beautiful book that will prompt him to write his memoir for his kids and grandkids. The Story of a Lifetime: A Keepsake of Personal Memoirs is a hardback book to be completed—filled in with answers to almost 500 simple to provocative questions such as, “What period of your life have you enjoyed the most?” and “What has been your greatest contribution to life so far?” What a wonderful way to pass along a legacy of wisdom and knowledge that will be a treasured family heirloom now and for generations to come.
3. Earphones. The world of earphones, earbuds, air pods, and every other type of in-ear-monitors has simply exploded. You can spend a buck at the Dollar Store or a thousand for a set that looks pretty much the same. The difference is the level of technology that’s powering that headset. Dads want earphones for all kinds of applications from blocking annoying noises around them to listening to music while on a run; to gaming and listening to videos and podcasts. Panasonic Wired Earphones are amazing and will deliver on all of those needs. They come in a variety of colors and get high reviews. And so affordable.
4. Apple Watch. It’s not cheap, folks. And it’s a luxury item, for sure. But in keeping with our philosophy that it’s good to be cheap with ourselves but generous with others, a beautiful Apple Watch sits here proudly as a gift suggestion for your favorite father. That we have chosen this new Series 1 model demonstrates we haven’t completely lost our zeal for frugality.
5. Silicone Ring. It’s just the coolest thing, and a really hot item with men who cannot stand to wear traditional gold or silver wedding bands. The silicone ring is not only good looking, it is practical. Your man can wear it while working out (those barbells won’t destroy his fingers). QALO Men’s Functional Silicone Ring comfortable because it is so lightweight and flexible. Best of all? Inexpensive (cheap!).
6. Smart Speaker with Alexa. It’s the latest and greatest (2nd generation)—a hands-free speaker your Dad controls with his voice. Smart Speaker with Alexa connects to Voice Service to play music, ask questions, make calls, send and receive messages provide information, news, sports scores, weather and more—instantly.
7. Commuter Bike. Dads want bikes! And this Critical Cycle Urban Commuter Bike is just the ticket for getting around the neighborhood or on a longer trek with the kiddos. This commuter bike is fixed-gear/single speed and super well-made. Choice of color and style.
8. Amazon Gift Card. For any dad, it’s hard to go wrong with an Amazon Gift Card. Wait! It’s hard to go wrong for any person, to be truthful. Easy to purchase, easy to deliver and super easy to use. About any amount you desire.
9. First Time Dad. This is such a great gift for the first-time dad in your life. Perhaps the most powerful influence in the world is that of a dad on his child. Baseball gloves, dirty diapers, tiny little hands, first days of school, daddy-daughter dances, and learner’s permits… and so much more! This book by John Fuller is just fantastic. He writes First Time Dad: The Stuff You Really Need to Know from the heart using his own experiences and wisdom gleaned from his most important role in life—being a dad.
10. Bluetooth Speaker. This Anker Soundcore 2 portable cordless speaker is just a sweetheart. I use this speaker all the time in my garden, and am continuously amazed how it can be 60 feet from my computer or phone but remain connected with no crackling or distortion—producing beautiful, glorious sound. And the battery life? Wow. Just goes on and on. Every dad needs a good Bluetooth speaker.
11. Coffee. If Dad loves strong coffee, this will be his favorite gift on Father’s Day. It’s the world’s strongest coffee—with a strong name to match: Death Wish Ground Coffee. Just check out those reviews! Fair Trade and USDA Certified Organic.
12. Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock. This sunrise and sunset simulation alarm clock gradually lights up from 0% to 100% in 30 minutes before the alarm rings. Could there be a better gift for a father? My son tells me Sunrise Wake-up Light Alarm Clock is the best gift I’ve ever given him, which makes me go, Huh, really?, but I’ll take it. Light can be changed to different colors, includes FM radio and sleek touchscreen. It is as useful as it is cool to look at. .
13. Travel Coffee Mug. If your dad runs on dark, hot liquids, this Zojirushi stainless steel coffee mug is the answer. It’s sleek, it’s beautiful and keeps hot coffee hot for a very long time. It has a non-stick coated interior and flip-open lid. The entire thing disassembles for thorough cleaning. Accommodates full-size ice cubes for cold drinks, too. The 16-ounce capacity is just right, too.
14. Action Camera. This Campark ACT76 Action Cam WI-FI Sports Camera is really great. Shoots video (stills too) in 4K Ultra HD at 30 frames per second and captures images at 16 megapixels. Dad can take it diving to 100 ft. depth, too! Super long battery life and comes with an accessory kit. Truly remarkable at this price. .
15. Tactical Backpack. A backpack for all eventualities—as a rucksack, bug out bag; for trekking, camping, hunting even works as a super cool diaper bag. Absolutely amazing in that G4Free 40L Sport/Outdoor Backpack comes with so many features and in several colors. And affordable.
16. Mini Fridge. Every hip and cool father wants it known that a mini-fridge for his mancave would delight him to no end. And this Midea WHS-65LB1 Compact Single Reversible Door Refrigerator is our choice for utility and functionality. Just the right size for all his snacks and beverages.
17. Coffee Mug. Simply adorable and the perfect gift for every young Star Wars fan to give his father. Dad … You are My Father mug is .
18. Dad Jokes. My father-in-law was the King of Puns. He could come up with them on the fly and he laughed harder than anyone. (How we miss you, George Hunt! You were the punniest, ever.) Whether your dad or granddad shares that same amazing talent or not, Dad Jokes: Terribly Good Dad Jokes will keep him (and you!) in stitches. Hint: Cheaper than the typical greeting card, and so much funnier!