How to Remove Non-Skid Bathtub Appliqués


Dear Mary: Could you tell me how to remove non-skid appliqués from the surface of a bathtub? They were applied at least 20 years ago and they are chipping off due to age, but leaving a residue of adhesive behind. What can I use to remove the adhesive layer? Carole K., E-mail

photo credit:

photo credit:

Dear Carole: Try WD-40, the well-known lubricant that comes with a red straw. It works incredibly well to remove old glue left behind by non-slip decals in a tub or shower. It has a number of unique uses, and the ability to remove old adhesive from a shower or tub is just one of many.

Begin by drying the area thoroughly. Apply a liberal amount of WD-40 to the old adhesive, and allow it to soak in for at least ten minutes. Use a plastic scraper to gently scrape away the old non-slip decal adhesive. Apply more WD-40, if necessary, and continue scraping until the area is clean and free from decal adhesive. It should be easy to remove, but the longer it has been in place, the more difficult it will be to scrape away. Normally, they will dissolve that kind of sticky residue on porcelain surfaces.

However, if this doesn’t completely do the job for you, I’m going to suggest you go with the mother of all sticky residue removers, a product called “Goof-Off”. You’ll find it with the paint remover products in stores like Home Depot or online. It is very strong stuff, but works like a charm. Read the label carefully and then test it in an inconspicuous place to make sure it does not react poorly with your tub’s finish. I have very high hopes that this will take care of your problem.

Dear Mary: I am dismayed by an article your wrote giving people the impression that they can get rate reductions on their credit cards with just a phone call. Yes, I realize that you stated that in a study over 56 percent of those who made the call got their rate reduced an average of 5 percent or better. Well, I called two of my credit card companies. Both answers were exactly the same. “Unfortunately this is the best rate we can offer at this time.” My rate on one is 24.98 percent This is certainly not as easy as you seem to think. Karen B., California

Dear Karen: Perhaps you gave up too quickly. And did you ask to speak with a supervisor? If you have a bad payment history, they are not going to be very cooperative. But if I were you, I wouldn’t give up so easily. Call every day but at different times of the day so you don’t keep talking to the same person. By the way, you do realize that a 56 percent success rate still leaves 44 percent who were not successful, right? There are no guarantees here. I’m just telling you what a great number of people have found to be true. Read on ….

Dear Mary: Some time ago you suggested calling our credit-card company’s customer service phone number to request a reduction in interest rates. I have five credit cards, which I’m trying to eliminate, one of which carries a balance of over $19,000 with an APR of 19 percent. I called them this afternoon, and they lowered my interest rate to 8.99 percent on the spot. That is HUGE. This will save me big money. Thank you so much for the tip. Wes S., Minnesota

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Caught yourself reading all the way 'til the end? Why not share with a friend.

5 replies
  1. Christina
    Christina says:

    It is a very common practice for credit card companies to lower APR’s. I used to work as customer service for a large credit card call center. Among other money saving options they can offer, but sometimes are not proactive about asking, but often they will raise your credit limit in order to transfer your balance from another credit card company at a promotional rate. So if your APR is lower with one credit card, ask if they can lower the APR first, and then suggest a transfer, to avoid having the two balances at different interest rates. On the contrary, if you have had late payments in the past 6 months, it is risky for the bank to lose interest on the borrowed money. So wait 6 months of on-time payments to request a lower rate.

  2. Glinda
    Glinda says:

    You should have pointed out that the tub roll be Extremely slippery from all that WD40. It will take a lot of detergent or soapy cleaner to remove it all.


Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *