Confessions of a Compulsive Chopper

I did something I hadn’t done in years. I took a weekend—plus the holiday—off. It was wonderful. Had friends over. And I made salsa. From scratch.

Pico de Gallo fresh ingredients chopped with Chop Wizard

I used my absolutely favorite kitchen gadget, the Chop Wizard to chop the stuff that needed chopping (tomatoes, onions, bell pepper, jalapeno, garlic, cilantro). This thing is amazing and super inexpensive.

It chopped the tomatoes fast and uniformly—without launching seeds and pulp across the room or turning the whole thing into a squished mess. I chopped onions, and peppers, too.

The ingredients need to include freshly chopped onion, tomato, jalapeno (go easy!), green bell pepper, fresh garlic, and cilantro. Mix together and add the juice of one lime, salt, and pepper; all to taste. That’s pretty much it!

Logo

Have you visited our brand new Everyday Cheapskate Tip site yet? It’s FREE, interactive, and CASH prizes! Show us your tips and you could be one of three WINNER$! Click over to EC² to learn more and to join the fun!

I love my Chop Wizard. I look for things to chop just because it’s so much fun. I’m a chopping fool! And the results are always so amazing. I even took Chop Wizard to the office a while back and held a demonstration for my tolerant staff.

I know I run the risk of this sounding like I’m a paid spokesperson for Chop Wizard (I’m not). It’s just that this gadget is such a time saver. Given the fact that it makes me want to make things from scratch, it’s a money saver, too.

I bought my Chop Wizard years ago in response to a late-night TV infomercial. Remarkably it is still in production, now available in stores and online.

I can’t say that everything I’ve purchased through an infomercial or PBS special has turned out as well. I’ve been burned a number of times when my compulsive nature met headlong with a weak moment. In makes me queazy to think back over the years … all the junk, all the money I’ve wasted.

When I say I am compulsive I mean that with a capital C. How do I deal with it when it comes to buying stuff? I have these specific questions written on a flowchart that I keep close and force myself to answer:

Design and Font

1. Do I need it?
    2. Can I afford it?
    3. Do I already have something that will do?
    4. Can I wait for a more reasonable alternative?
    5. Am I certain I have located the best deal?
    6. Am I willing to submit to a self-imposed cooling-off period to think it over?

You wouldn’t believe how many times these simple questions have stopped me short—forcing me to stop and think and then saving me from making a foolish, purchase.

And there have been just as many times that this exercise gave me the confidence I needed to make the right purchasing decision.

Question: Have you ever purchased something after seeing it hocked on TV then lived to regret it? Oh please, do tell ….

Updated 1-19-20

UP NEXT:

Surprisingly Amazing Ways to Make Meals from Leftovers

23 Ways to Chop Your Grocery Bill

Everyday Cheapskate participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon affiliated sites.

A piece of cake sitting on top of a table
chicken with homemade teriyaki sauce
Iced coffee in a tall glass
apple pie in cast iron skillet
a plate of dump chicken with rice and vegetables.

Caught yourself reading all the way 'til the end? Why not share with a friend.

« Older Comments
  1. Rita Weirich says:

I can never get the darn thing clean. Onions and celery stick to the point that I’d rather chop by hand. I can’t recommend this product

2. Tonya says:

I’m another Chop Wizard lover! I use it for just about everything, though I’ve learned a few things it’s not great on (like celery). I chop lean sandwich meat for my sandwiches, along with cucumbers, eggs, and even tomatoes. I routinely make mashed potatoes (or potato salad) by cutting potatoes lengthwise and running them through the chopper–then cooking them in my Instant Pot. Sometimes I have to cut them in half if they’re too long, but it’s a HUGE time saver! I also chop up onions or green peppers when they’re overflowing in my garden and freeze them in baggies–so convenient! I’m on about my 3rd chopper and have another downstairs, just in case. I can’t cook without it!

3. Charlene says:

I am on my 4th Chopper in 6 years but could not get along without it. I buy then at Bed Bath & Beyond with 20% coupon. Save your receipt and if anything happens in 6 months they will replace. I batch prep my onions, peppers, celery, carrots, black olives, green olives.Wonderful time saver.

4. Peggy Legg's Peg Leg says:

I love my chop wizard, too! though mine is a morbidly obese middle aged man named Karl. I’m talking about my husband! ha ha. he’s great at chopping – though not so good at shopping!

5. Peggy Legg says:

The chop wizard is a pretty cool tool. I like it because everything is chopped even. You cannot put large thick chunks to chop or you will break the hinge. Slice an onion between 1/4-1/2 inch thick and give it a slam. I use it when I need a whack of vegetables for a recipe. The squares look pretty in soup. I have found it works best with firm vegetables. Alternately, the food processor works great too and of course there is always a sharp knife! Analyze the room you have and the frequency in which you think you would use it.
    Bottom line, it works if you use it properly.

• Tonya says:

I use mine with thicker things, I just put one hand on the hinge and the other hand pushing down. I’ve broken more than one Chop Wizard, so I’m careful 🙂

6. Liz King says:

After reading your glowing report about the chop wizard, I went over to amazon to buy one. I checked the reviews and the first 3 or 4 I read called it a piece of junk that breaks very easily because it is made out cheap materials. One guy said he’s on his 4th one. another buyer said their customer service stunk after she contacted them when hers broke after 5 or 6 uses. They must have made a better product when you bought yours, Mary. Even though it only costs $20 I’d rather spend more on something that will last. Any suggestions? (I’m a big salad eater and salsa lover and would love to make all that chopping easier!)

• Tonya says:

I’ve had some older one and newer ones. You have to be careful when pressing down that you don’t let all the pressure go on the hinges; they can break easily. I usually put one hand pressing down over the hinges and the other hand pushing down on the food (sometimes I even pound a bit). I think sometimes Amazon reviews bring out only the people who hate a product. So far I haven’t seen anyone comment on this site that they had one and didn’t like it, and plenty of us saying we LOVE ours.

7. Ann says:

I have bought some things that looked great and not great when arrived, So I make sure to save my receipts for a year to make a return.

« Older Comments