Recently, I heard from EC reader Douglas who wrote, Would you please repeat your column that describes the best inexpensive small kitchen appliances? I want to replace my mixer and small food chopper. Thanks. Your column is great. I look forward to it every day.
After a few moments of non-productive searching, my confused self realized that while I’ve included a small kitchen appliance in a “best inexpensive” column from time to time, the column Douglas was looking for didn’t exist. Now it does. Thanks Douglas for that kick I needed and your nice comments, too.
1. FOOD PROCESSOR. The Hamilton Beach 8-Cup Food Processor is simple to use offering 2 speeds, a powerful 450-watt motor and large feed tube. Just the perfect size, too.
2. HAND MIXER. When selecting an electric mixer, consider carefully your specific need. If you use a mixer only occasionally for small jobs, my pick for best inexpensive is the KitchenAid KHM512ER 5-Speed Ultra Power Hand Mixer.
3. STAND MIXER. If you use a mixer to make and knead bread dough, to make large batches of cookies and even shred meat and poultry, my pick is the Cheftronic Stand Mixer SM-986 120V/650W 5.5qt Bowl 6 Speed Kitchen Electric Mixer Machine. This machine performs equally well to machines costing two or three times the amount.
4. BLENDER. You can spend $400 for one of the trendy power blenders like Vitamix and Blendtec—or save a lot of money with this 1000-watt Ninja Professional Blender. This machine rivals its expensive competitors and comes out on top. It’s a beauty!
5. IMMERSION BLENDER. Cuisinart Smart Stick Hand Blender is powered by 200-watts and has two speeds. The shaft of this corded hand blender has a release button, which allows that part to go straight into the dishwasher making this a very useful and handy kitchen tool.
6. CHOPPER. The Vidalia Chop Wizard is still my pick for the best inexpensive chopper. It’s easy to use, simple to clean and produces beautiful results!
7. TOASTER. Black+Decker 2-Slice Toaster Bagel Toaster is simple, sleek and totally functional in that it will toast sliced bread as well as bagels. Highly reliable, too. About
8. PRESSURE COOKER. Electric pressure cookers are taking the country by storm. Once thought to be inadequate if not dangerous, those days are gone. You won’t find a better electric pressure cooker than Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker, 6Qt/1000W. It also functions as a slow cooker. With its large, easy to use control panel with 14 Micro-Processor controlled programs, dual pressure, automatic keep-warm and three temperatures for sauté and slow cook. Every kitchen needs an Instant Pot.
9. SLOW COOKER. If an Instant Pot is overkill for your situation (difficult to imagine but indeed possible), a slow cooker will be ideal to meet your needs and the Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker is my pick for best inexpensive. Its 6-quart size is ideal.
10. TOASTER OVEN. BLACK+DECKER 4-Slice Toaster Oven as four functions: baking, broiling, toasting, and keeping food warm plus a 30-minute timer. It’s simple to use, easy to clean and attractive, too.
11. COFFEE MAKER. While my first choice in coffee makers remains BUNN 13000 12-CUP coffeemaker, the Hamilton Beach Single Serve Coffee Brewer and Full Pot Coffee Maker is my current pick for best inexpensive coffee maker. This is a versatile machine in that you can make a single serving of coffee or a full pot—2 ways to brew. And it makes great coffee. Has a programmable timer and extra large capacity reservoir. The single-serving side comes with a mesh filter to hold ground coffee or pre-packaged Senseo Pods (not included).