It’s getting closer to turkey-leftover time! And our favorite registered dietician, Brenda Ponichtera, R.D., has a delicious and creative main dish that is refreshingly different and healthy for this time of year.
- 4 ounces (1½ cups uncooked) rotini noodles, corkscrew shape
- ¾ cup broccoli florets
- ¾ cup sliced carrots
- 1½ cups cooked and cubed turkey breast
- 3 tablespoons fat-free or reduced-fat Italian or ranch-style dressing
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and oil. Drain and cool. Add vegetables and turkey.
- Toss with dressing.
Source: Quick & Healthy Volume II, 2nd Edition, © 2009 Brenda J. Ponichtera, R.D. Published by Small Steps Press, a division of the American Diabetes Association; retail $18.95. To order call 1-800-232-6733 or visit QuickandHealthy.net. Also available at local and online bookstores.
By keeping a well-stocked pantry and also having ground meat in your freezer you can prepare this easy recipe in a moment’s notice, skipping a trip to the grocery store.
- 2 pounds extra-lean ground beef or ground turkey (7% fat)
- 3 15-ounce cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes*, not drained
- 2 8-ounce cans tomato sauce*
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- Brown the ground meat in a large kettle that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Discard bay leaves before serving.
Source: Quick & Healthy Recipes and Ideas, 3rd Edition, ©2008 Brenda J. Ponichtera, R.D. Published by Small Steps Press, a division of the American Diabetes Association; retail $18.95. To order call 1-800-232-6733 or visit QuickandHealthy.net. Also available at local and online bookstores.
Question: What is your favorite leftover turkey recipe? Share it here.
Subscribe to email updates today and you’ll receive a link to download my brand new e-book, The Best of Everyday Cheapskate, FREE.
You’ll enjoy excerpts from each of my bestselling e-books to help you get onboard with saving time and money every day!