I am excited to share this quite unusual recipe with you because, well, it’s just plain awesome. This is the recipe you want handy when you need to use up what you have on hand, don’t want to run to the supermarket to make something delicious and want even less to patronize some fast-food joint’s drive-thru for a quick breakfast.
This recipe is a bit more time consuming as you need to do a little prep work. But it is the perfect option when you have any number of “add ins” on hand, which makes this recipe so versatile.
- 1 cup milk*
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 cup rolled oats (not quick oats)
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- ¼ cup packed, light brown sugar
- ½ cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- add-ins** of choice
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, cubed
- Combine milk, vinegar and oats in a large bowl and let stand one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease 12 muffin cups, or line with paper liners.
- Crack the egg into the oats and milk mixture; add brown sugar and mix to combine. Stir in melted butter.
- Mix remaining ingredients in a large bowl: flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and spices. Gently fold into batter, taking care not to over mix.
- Sprinkle add-ins** of your choice and combine gently.
- Fill muffin cups. In a small bowl combine the topping ingredients. Sprinkle over tops of muffins. Bake until light brown and a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean, about 12 to 18 minutes depending on what you’ve added in. Muffins will take slightly longer to bake if you are adding fresh fruit.
1 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen, and ½ cup dark chocolate, chunks or chips
3/4 cup diced apple and ½ cup toasted walnuts, roughly chopped
3/4 cup dried cranberries and ½ cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped
3/4 cup white chocolate, chopped or chips, and 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
1/2 cup toasted, unsweetened coconut and ¾ cup peanut butter chips
3/4 cup dates, pitted and chopped, and ½ cup pistachios
3/4 cup golden raisins and ¾ cup grated carrots