Dump and run. That’s the kind of slow cooker recipes I love. No muss, no fuss and no hovering over a hot stove to get dinner on the table.
As the days of autumn bring cooler weather (here in California we call “cooler” anything below 70F), I find myself thinking about hot soup. And having dinner all planned and taken care of ahead of time.
Want to join me? Great. Find your slower cooker, that will be the easy part. Deciding which of these soups to make for tonight’s dinner will be the greater challenge. Persevere. I know you can do it!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 pound shredded, cooked chicken
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 14.5 ounce can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 10 ounce package frozen corn
Place all ingredients into the slow cooker. Stir. Cover. Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or on High for 3 to 4 hours. Serves: 8. Optional: Garnish with tortilla chips, sour cream and grated cheese. Amazing.
Creamy Potato Soup
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 (10.5 ounce) cans condensed chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 5 large potatoes, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
In a small skillet over high heat, sauté the onion with the bacon until bacon is evenly browned. Drain off excess grease and place bacon and onions into slow cooker along with the chicken broth, water, potatoes, salt dill weed and pepper. Cover. Cook on Low for 6 to 7 hours, stirring half way through.
In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and half and half. Stir into the soup along with the evaporated milk. Cover and cook for another 30 minutes before serving. Servings: 6. Optional garnish: Grated cheese, bacon bits and chopped green onion. Enjoy!
Quick and Easy Chicken and Dumplings
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 10.75-ounce cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 14-ounce can chicken broth
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 10-ounce packages refrigerated biscuit dough, torn into pieces
Place the chicken, butter, soup, onion and chicken broth in a slow cooker. Cover. Cook for 5 to 6 hours on High. About 30 minutes before serving, place the torn biscuit dough in the slow cooker. Cook until the dough is no longer raw in the center. Serves: 8. You won’t believe how good this is.
Question: Do you own a slow cooker? Is it out and ready to fire up for dinner tonight?
Subscribe to email updates today and you’ll receive a link to download my brand new e-book, The Best of Everyday Cheapskate, FREE.
You’ll enjoy excerpts from each of my bestselling e-books to help you get onboard with saving time and money every day!